Know Your Risk: Cancer Risk Evaluation Program
If you’re concerned about your risks for developing breast, ovarian cancer, colorectal or other hereditary cancers, the experts in our Cancer Risk Evaluation Program can help. Our doctors and nurses will provide information, evaluation, genetic counseling, and genetic testing, if appropriate, to assist in developing a realistic opinion of your risk status. As an affiliate of the Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute, our Cancer Risk Evaluation Program Coordinator, Donna Lamp, RN, BSN, CCM and Medical Director, Dr. Marc A. Rovito, work collaboratively with Penn State Hershey Medical Geneticist, Maria Baker, Ph.D. and your physicians to review your personal and family history, create a cancer- incidence pedigree (family tree), and offer recommendations for follow-up.
Our experienced oncology professionals will:
- Determine your risk for developing a hereditary cancer;
- Assist in developing a realistic opinion of a woman’s breast cancer risk status;
- Recommend a plan for ongoing screening and risk reduction approaches;
- Help women understand current breast health management issues and research studies related to breast cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment;
- Explain the genetics of breast cancer and, when indicated, provide counseling and access to genetic testing;
- Provide access to appropriate clinical research studies related to breast health or genetic testing consideration for women found to be at high risk;
- Recommend a plan for ongoing screening and risk reduction approaches for individuals with Lynch Syndrome and other known cancer-related genetic syndromes;
- Collaborate with medical oncology specialists, surgeons, and pathologists in order to identify individuals at risk for Lynch Syndrome, which include cancers such as colorectal, uterine and or ovarian, and based on personal and family history, provide screening and risk reduction strategies for these patients and their families.
Donna Lamp, RN, BSN, CCM, Coordinator of Cancer Risk Evaluation Program If you’re ready to assess your risk for developing breast, ovarian, and other hereditary cancers, or for more information on the process, contact Donna and let her be your personal guide. 610-378-2457 | DLamp@PennStateHealth.psu.edu