Don’t Let Cookouts Sabotage Your Health!
Whether you are managing your blood sugars or just trying to make healthier choices this summer, navigating the cookout scene can be overwhelming. Enjoy your Memorial Day celebrations and feel good about the food choices you make by being prepared.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day and leading up to the picnic.
- Start your day with a healthy habit like exercising to help maintain calorie balance for the day.
- Eat your regular meals and snacks leading up to the picnic so that you are not starving by the time the food is served.
- Fill half your plate with veggies, add some protein off the grill, and compliment your dish with two spoonfuls of your favorite side dish.
- Unsure if there will be guilt-free veggies at the picnic? Bring your own veggie tray, salad, or marinated veggie kabobs to the party or try making these Blackberry & Cherry Yogurt Pops!
Blackberry & Cherry Yogurt Pops
Recipe by: Diabetic Gourmet Magazine
1-1/2 cup pitted fresh or frozen cherries
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1 Tbsp. honey
24 oz. vanilla Greek yogurt
12 (3 oz.) paper cups and 12 popsicle sticks or plastic spoons
1. In small mixing bowl mash cherries and berries. Drizzle on honey and mix together.
2. In paper cups, layer alternating spoonfuls of yogurt and fruit until full. Place popsicle stick or plastic spoon in each cup. Freeze.
3. When ready to serve, tear paper cup off popsicle and enjoy.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Saturated Fat: 0g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Elizabeth Hawk, MS, RD, CDE is Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator at Diabetes Management Services at Penn State Health St. Joseph. Diabetes Management Services is dedicated to help you take control of your diabetes. Learn more about nutrition, exercise, medications and how to reduce your risk for diabetes-related complications. Contact Elizabeth at 610-378-2031 or EHawk@PennStateHealth.psu.edu